Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sister Mary Ignatus Explains it all for You

This was a funny and disturbing play. It made fun of Catholicism in a simple, straightforward way. It was pretty campy, maybe because it was written as a play instead of in a more serious format like an essay. It didn’t seem over the top though. Sister Mary was typical without being too cliché. Her speech was very authoritative yet childish. She sounds like Thomas, making her seem less accountable for her wrongdoings, as if she never really grew up and is not at fault. I thought the shootings in the end were a bit much. The second one was funnier since she justified murdering him by his supposedly going to heaven.

Both my grandmothers were catholic though that was the extent of Catholicism in my family. My grandmother still cries and begs me to get baptized, and tells me I’m going to hell if I don’t. Both of my parents endured Catholic school for 12 years and their experiences were similar to the play. My mom still hates the particular color green she had to wear for those 12 years. Sadly the abuses of the nun in the play were a reality. Stylistically it was a little too simplistic for me the writing was almost too exaggerated. It was funny nonetheless. The idea of anyone actually being like or living like Sister Mary really bothers me. She makes me want to go and have abortions and do drugs and sin. She makes me really uncomfortable, I cannot imagine anyone being able to be happy living like that.

The play reminded me of this christian church in Kentucky and how terrifying it is,

Southeast_Christian_2.jpg

052408-2309-theregional2.png

No comments:

Post a Comment